Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Putting things into perspective ...

I can't believe today is already Wednesday! I'll admit that I've totally lost track of time, but it seems like my last week at Furman (sad ... tear) is flying by! Even though I haven't gotten to hang out with the students in the evenings, getting to know everyone has been wonderful.

Yesterday was a remarkable experience -- seeing poverty first-hand and assisting with the beautification of a special-needs school really puts your own life into perspective. All day I found myself thinking about my extra clothes and books that could be donated to homeless shelters, and our group was touched by an offer by a man at the Greenville Rescue Mission to join their group for lunch.

Speaking of lunch, our meals have been amazing! I can't claim any part in the deliciousness, but Furman Catering treats us exceptionally well. Today's etiquette luncheon was no exception, and it was comforting to learn that I've been fairly well-mannered in formal situations for the past 21 years (although I'm afraid I'll never be able to kick the elbows-on-the-dining-table habit!).

Tonight our students get to hear a presentation by our talented Admissions Counselors, and I feel sure that this will be an excellent opportunity to ask questions of the people with all the answers.

Tata for now,
Monica

No comments: