Friday, July 27, 2007

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye


I'm only 19, but sometimes I feel 39 because of the amount of things I'm doing this summer. This week of being an EPL Counselor has really inspired me in ways I didn't expect. These 22 students from all across the US have something to show and tell the world. Whether it's how to do the "Superman" or why they do/don't support school vouchers, everything about them is incredible. I've become so attached to these students that it brings tears to my eyes knowing I have to depart EPL in about 9 hours for other commitments.

Jordone, Drew, Alana, Anna Lynn, Anna E., Merideth, Anna G., Luis, Jay, Caitlin, LJ, Athena, Anh, David, Colin, Chong, Whit, Miya, Mikala, Mia, Alyssa, and Hannah...you all have reminded me what being young is all about. Yes, we learn and apply ourselves all day, but we can have fun and act crazy when the adults aren't around! Our world really needs us to step up, T-O-G-E-T-H-E-R, and we have done that this week. We no longer see our geographical, racial, gender, or educational barriers, but we are one unit, one group. Today we heard a story of how 3 mothers changed the course of insurance coverage in the state of South Carolina for their children with no money or no political experience. I can't wait to see what 22 courageous, passionate, brilliant, funny, and most important, conscious group of EPL students will do to change their communities in the coming months. EPL Class of 2007, Go forth and lead! "ZOOM"

-Quentin

No comments: