Thursday, July 26, 2007

First Furman Post!

Hello to all reading our blog!
Even though I have been tardy in posting on our blog, I have really enjoyed my Furman experience thus far. Our class is full of very fun, very interesting people and I'm very happy that we all share a common love of dancing!

Today I took my first visit to Columbia and I really enjoyed walking around downtown and seeing the State House. The design of the State House was amazing, and so was the sword inside the House of Representatives Chamber.

Yesterday, we listened to three environmental scientists who all had interesting perspectives on the world's future condition. One talked about the population and food crisis, and another talked about the environmental state of South Carolina. The ethics professor that visited us before the scientists was also a very engaging speaker and he included the entire class in the hypothetical ethical dilemmas.

The Furman campus is very beautiful and I have really enjoyed getting to spend time here. We did an awesome scavenger hunt across the entire campus two nights ago. My team was obviously dominant and we would have claimed first prize had it not been for some strange woman who pointed us in the wrong direction toward the football field.

Tomorrow we have our city council meeting, and no doubt a heated debate will break out. Our group has a special talent for the Socratic method of questioning, so it should be interesting!

<3

-Anna E.

No comments: