Thursday, July 26, 2007

Loooooong day

So today was the big trip to Columbia, SC! Here's my recap:

-Tour of ETV: TV stations are REALLY COLD!!!! The station reminds me of PBS in my home state of GA. Anyone else like the HairWorld competition they were showing in the lobby???
-Lunch with Superintendent Rex: He made insightful comments about the state of education in SC while we munched on sandwiches in the Nelson Mullins building. Remember everyone, "be a jumper, not a hooker!"

-State capitol: We met with State Sen. Lourie, Mr. Tom Davis (Chief of Staff for Gov. Sanford), and (my new hero!) Prof. John Simpkins. We also toured the Capitol building. I really appreciated our "conversations" with the officials. We subjected them to some tough questions, and they didn't totally break down. :) I especially love how passionate my fellow EPLers are about public education! Speaking as a future voter, I believe our legislators need to give us *specific*, innovative, and well-researched solutions for our system. Education is one issue that DEFINITELY inspires strong emotions from us young adults. It's too bad most elected officials across the nation can't give us the answers we seek.

-Brainstorm session @ Columbia College: Dr. Burkett seems pretty cool. The session was brief, but helpful.

-Bus trip: We watched Mean Girls, which I think sums up the cattiness of high school perfectly, and High School Musical, which is def my guilty pleasure.



Only 2 days left!
Athena

No comments: